Maj. Gen. Christopher P. Azzano is the Commander, Air Force Test Center, Edwards Air Force Base, California. He directs a $31 billion enterprise of more than 18,000 military, civilian and contractor personnel across Edwards AFB, Eglin AFB and Arnold AFB. The AFTC provides developmental test and evaluation of experimental and research, manned and unmanned air, space and cyber systems for the military services, Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, NASA and international partners, in addition to operating the U.S. Air Force Test Pilot School.
Maj. Gen. Azzano has flown more than 2,900 hours in 35 aircraft types as an instructor pilot, evaluator pilot and experimental test pilot. He has conducted developmental tests on a wide range of aircraft and weapons and has commanded at the squadron, group and twice at the wing level.
Maj. Gen. Azzano is a graduate of the Air Force Intern Program, the Air Force Legislative Fellowship and the Air War College. He holds Master's degrees in Aerospace Engineering and Strategic Studies. He was previously assigned as the Director, Air, Space and Cyberspace
Operations, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. In this position, he was responsible for shaping the workforce and infrastructure to test, field and sustain agile war-winning capabilities. He also developed the command's test, readiness and information technology policy, while providing oversight of cyber resilience requirements, cross-domain system integration and resource allocation for flight management, airfield and weather services and command and control operations.
1987 Bachelor of Science, Aerospace Engineering, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Ind.
1988 Master of Science, Aerospace Engineering, Stanford University, Stanford, Calif.
1997 Certificate in Organizational Management, The George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
1998 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2000 U.S. Air Force Test Pilot School, Edwards AFB, Calif.
2006 Air Force Legislative Fellowship, Washington, D.C.
2007 Certificate in Legislative Studies, Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.
2011 Master of Strategic Studies, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2012 Center for Creative Leadership, Greensboro, N.C.
2014 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
2016 Capstone Military Leadership Program, Washington, D.C.
2019 Continuous Process Improvement for Executives, Duke University, Durham, N.C.
2019 Air Force Advanced Senior Leader Development Program, Warrenton, Va.
2020 Senior Acquisition Management Course, Virtual (Defense Acquisition University)
1. February 1991–April 1992, Student, Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas
2. May 1992–March 1993, Flight Safety Officer, Sheppard AFB, Texas
3. April 1993–June 1993, Student, Lead-in Fighter Training, Holloman AFB, N.M.
4. July 1993–February 1994, Student, F-15E Replacement Training Unit, Luke AFB, Ariz.
5. March 1994–July 1996, F-15E Pilot, 336th Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
6. August 1996–November 1997, Air Force Intern, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
7. December 1997–June 1999, F-15E Instructor Pilot, Wing Executive Officer, 391st Fighter Squadron, 366th Air Expeditionary Wing, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
8. July 1999–June 2000, Student, U.S. Air Force Test Pilot School, Edwards AFB, Calif.
9. July 2000–April 2003, F-15 Experimental Test Pilot, F-15 Chief Pilot, F-15 Flight Commander, 40th Flight Test Squadron, Eglin AFB, Fla.
10. May 2003–August 2005, Assistant Operations Officer, Operations Officer, Data Masked
11. September 2005–December 2006, Air Force Legislative Fellow, Washington, D.C.
12. January 2007–June 2008, Chief, Advanced Weapons and Sensors Division, Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition, Special Programs Directorate, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
13. June 2008–July 2010, Commander, Flight Test Squadron, Data Masked
14. July 2010–June 2011, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
15. June 2011–June 2013, Commander, 412th Operations Group, Edwards AFB, Calif.
16. June 2013–June 2015, Commander, 72nd Air Base Wing, Tinker AFB, Okla.
17. June 2015–June 2017, Commander, 96th Test Wing, Eglin AFB, Fla.
18. June 2017–August 2018, Director, Air, Space and Cyberspace Operations, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
19. August 2018–present, Commander, Air Force Test Center, Edwards AFB, Calif.
Rating: command pilot
Flight Hours: more than 2,900
Aircraft Flown: 35 different types, including the F-15E, F-15C, F-16 and C-12
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Air Force Distinguished Service Medal
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
1992 Orville Wright Achievement Award, Order of Daedalians
2001 U.S. Air Force Lt. Gen. Bobby Bond Memorial Aviator Award
2001 Air Armament Center NDIA Military Tester of the Year
2001 Air Armament Center Daedalian Exceptional Pilot Award
Liethen-Tittle Award, U.S. Air Force Test Pilot School, Class 99B
2015 Air Force Materiel Command Jerome F. O'Malley Award (Wing Commander and Spouse Team)
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Feb. 13, 1991
First Lieutenant Feb. 13, 1993
Captain Feb. 13, 1995
Major Feb. 1, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel March 1, 2006
Colonel Sept. 1, 2010
Brigadier General Sept. 2, 2015
Major General July 3, 2019
(Current as of September 2021)