Maj. Gen. Kevin A. Huyck is Director of Operations for headquarters, U.S. Northern Command, Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado. He is the principal advisor to the USNORTHCOM Commander on all matters of homeland defense, to include providing strategic guidance to plan and execute missions within the area of responsibility; including land, maritime and air operations, defense support to civil authorities, and theater security cooperation, to include the Arctic.
Maj. Gen. Huyck is a 1990 graduate of the U.S. Air Force Academy and earned his wings at Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas. He was a distinguished graduate and instructor at the U.S. Air Force's Weapons Instructor Course and attended National War College. His assignments include F-22 Initial Cadre, F-22 Follow-on Operational Test and Evaluation Director of Operations, combat Joint Staff and Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations at NATO’s Allied Air Command. He has commanded at the squadron, group, and wing level.
Prior to his current assignment, Maj. Gen. Huyck served as the Director of Operations, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Virginia. He was responsible to the Commander, ACC, on all matters pertaining to the direct operational planning, training, command and controlling functions to deploy and employ regular and Reserve component combat air forces, including more than 1,900 aircraft, in support of U.S. security objectives.
Maj. Gen. Huyck is a command pilot with more than 3,000 flying hours in the F-15 and F-22, and 295 combat hours in support of Operation Southern Watch.
1990 Bachelor of Science, Computer Science, U.S Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1997 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1998 U.S. Air Force Fighter Weapons Instructor Course, Nellis AFB, Nev.
2002 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2002 Master of Business Administration, Military Management Degree, Touro University, Calif.
2006 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2010 Master of Science, National Security Studies, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2016 Capstone General and Flag Officer Course, National Defense University, Washington, D.C.
2017 Combined Force Air Component Commander Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2018 Advanced Senior Leader Development Seminar, Warrenton, Va.
1. July 1990–January 1993, Euro NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas
2. January 1993–December 1993, F-15C Replacement Training Unit, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
3. December 1993–June 1997, Instructor Pilot, Multi-Stage Improvement Program Officer, Chief of Scheduling, 71st Fighter Squadron, Langley AFB, Va.
4. June 1997–June 1998, Chief of Standardization and Evaluation, 67th FS, Kadena Air Base, Japan
5. June 1998–December 1998, Student, U.S Air Force Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
6. January 1999–September 1999, Chief of Squadron Weapons and Tactics, 12th FS, Kadena AB, Japan
7. September 1999–June 2000, Chief of Squadron Weapons and Tactics, 67th FS, Kadena AB, Japan
8. June 2000–November 2002, Weapons Instructor, Academic Instructor, Flight Commander, Assistant Operations Officer, U.S. Air Force Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
9. November 2002 –August 2004, Initial Cadre, Chief of Mission Planning, Initial Operational Test and Evaluation, 31st Test and Evaluation Squadron, Edwards AFB, Calif.
10. August 2004–December 2005, Director of Operations, F-22 Follow-on Test and Evaluation, Detachment 6, Air Force Operational Test and Evaluation Center, Nellis AFB, Nev.
11. December 2005–March 2006, Assistant Director of Operations, 43rd FS, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
12. March 2006–June 2007, Director of Operations, 43rd FS, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
13. June 2007–June 2009, Commander, 95th FS, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
14. June 2009–June 2010, Student, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
15. July 2010–June 2011, Commander, 49th Operations Group, Holloman AFB, N.M.
16. June 2011–April 2012, Vice Commander, 49th Wing, Holloman AFB, N.M.
17. April 2012–April 2013, Executive Officer to Deputy Chief of Staff, Operations, Headquarters, International Security Assistance Force, Kabul, Afghanistan
18. July 2013–July 2015, Commander, 1st Fighter Wing, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.
19. August 2015–July 2017, Deputy Chief of Staff Operations, Headquarters Allied Air Command, Ramstein AB, Germany
20. August 2017–August 2018, Deputy Director of Operations, North American Aerospace Defense Command Headquarters, Peterson AFB, Colo.
21. August 2018–June 2020, Director of Operations, Air Combat Command, JB Langley-Eustis, VA.
22. June 2020–present, Director of Operations, United States Northern Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. April 2012–April 2013, Executive Officer to Deputy Chief of Staff, Operations, Headquarters, International Security Assistance Force, Kabul, Afghanistan, as a colonel
2. August 2015–July 2017, Deputy Chief of Staff Operations, Headquarters Allied Air Command, as a brigadier general
3. August 2017–August 2018, Deputy Director of Operations, North American Aerospace Defense Command Headquarters, Peterson Air Force Base, Colo., as a brigadier general
4. June 2020–present, Director of Operations, United States Northern Command, Peterson AFB, Colo., as a major general
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 3,000, including 339 combat hours
Aircraft flown: F-22A and F-15C
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal
Defense Superior Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Afghanistan Campaign Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 30, 1990
First Lieutenant May 30, 1992
Captain May 30, 1994
Major May 30, 2001
Lieutenant Colonel May 1, 2005
Colonel Sept. 1, 2009
Brigadier General July 6, 2015
Major General Aug. 24, 2018
(Current as of September 2020)