Mark “MRE” Engelbaum, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Director of Civilian Force Management, Deputy Chief of Staff for Manpower, Personnel and Services, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. He is responsible for establishing force management policies for more than 200,000 Total Air Force Appropriated and Non-appropriated fund personnel. These policies guide the recruitment, hiring, management, development, support and retention of the civilian workforce.
Mr. Engelbaum received his commission in 1985 through the United States Military Academy at West Point. In a career of 30 years, Mr. Engelbaum has served in a variety of military and civilian assignments. Prior to his current assignment, Mr. Engelbaum served as the Deputy Director of Military Force Management Policy, Deputy Chief of Staff for Manpower, Personnel and Services, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. where he was responsible for establishing force management policies for more than 500,000 Total Air Force military personnel. Prior, he was the Deputy Director of Manpower, Personnel and Services, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley Air Force Base, Virginia. In this capacity, he was responsible for the development and management of manpower, personnel and services policy, programs and objectives for more than 134,000 active duty military, civilians and their families in all 50 states and 17 foreign countries. Other civilian assignments include experience in: programming, strategy, transformation, doctrine, nuclear policy, strategic plans, arms control and counterproliferation. Mr. Engelbaum’s service in the Army included operational assignments as a platoon leader, executive officer, troop commander and battalion operations officer, followed by a tour with the Joint Staff. His service also included tours of duty on the East-West German border with the 1-1 Cavalry and in operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm with the 3/3 Armored Cavalry Regiment. He is a graduate of the U.S. Army Cavalry Officer Basic and Advanced Courses, U.S. Army Airborne and Jungle Schools and the Defense Attaché Course
1985 Bachelor of Science, United States Military Academy, West Point, N.Y.
1993 Combined Arms & Services Staff School, Ft. Leavenworth, Kan.
1993 Defense Foreign Language Institute, Monterey Calif.
1994 Master of Arts, National Security Affairs, Navalpostgraduate School, Monterey Calif.
1999 Air War College
2015 Air Force Senior Leader Orientation Course
2016 AFSO21: Leading for Results, University of Tennessee, Knoxville
2017 APEX: Senior Executive Joint Orientation Program, Washington, D.C.
1. January 1986 – June 1987, Platoon Leader, B troop, 1-1 Cavalry, Schwabach, Ge
2. June 1987 – April 1989, Executive Officer, HHT, 1-1 Cavalry, Schwabach, Ge
3. November 1989 – May 1991, Operations Officer, 3rd Squadron, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, Ft. Bliss, TX.
4. May 1991 – June 1993, Commander HHT, 3rd Squadron, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, Ft. Bliss, Tx.
5. June 1993 – November 1993, Student, Defense Foreign Language Institute, Monterey, Ca
6. November 1994 – November 1995, Student, Navalpostgraduate School, Monterey, Ca
7. November 1995 – February 1996, Action officer, Joint Chiefs of Staffs Representative to the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe, Vienna, Au.
8. February 1996- August 1996, Operations analyst, CUBIC Corporation
9. August 1996 – April 1997, Treaty Compliance Officer, 52 FW, Spangdahlem, Ge
10. April 1997 – March 2001, Deputy Chief, Arms Control & Chief, Arms Control Branch, HQ USAFE, Ramstein, Ge
11. March 2001 – November 2003, Chief, Arms Control and Counterproliferation Branch, HQ USAFE, Ramstein, Ge
12. November 2003 – August 2006, Deputy Chief, Plans Division, HQ USAFE, Ramstein, Ge
13. August 2006 – June 2013, Chief, Programming Plans Division, HQ USAFE, Ramstein, Ge
14. June 2013 – February 2015, Deputy Director, Manpower, Personnel and Services, HQ Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Va.
15. February 2015 – September 2017, Deputy Director, Military Force Management, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
16. September 2017 – present, Director, Civilian Force Management, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Civilian Service Award (x3)
(Current as of April 2018)