Lt. Gen. Randall Reed is Deputy Commander, Air Mobility Command, Scott Air Force Base, Illinois. The command serves as the U.S. Transportation Command air component with a fleet of nearly 1,100 aircraft operating from more than 100 locations worldwide to project, maneuver, and sustain the Joint Force, allies, and partners. Subordinate commands include 18th Air Force, the U.S. Air Force Expeditionary Center, the 618th Air Operations Center, 17 wings and two groups. Approximately 107,000 active-duty, Air National Guard, Air Force Reserve Airmen and civilians provide global command and control, inter-theater and intra-theater airlift, air refueling, aeromedical evacuation, and air mobility support, as well as presidential and senior leader air transport in support of national interests.
Lt. Gen. Reed graduated from the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1989. He commanded a numbered air force, wing, two expeditionary operations groups, and a flying training squadron. Additionally, he held a variety of joint, headquarters, and base-level positions including assignments in strategic airlift, special operations air refueling, and joint logistics spanning Operation Desert Storm to Operation Allies Refuge. He also served as the Senior Defense Official and Defense Attaché, Ankara, Turkey. He is a graduate of the U.S. Army Light Fighter Air Assault School and is a command pilot with more than 3,500 hours in the C-141B, KC-135R/T, B-1B, RC-135V/W, E-8C, C-130, C-5A, and C-5M aircraft.
Prior to his current assignment, the general served as Commander, Third Air Force, Ramstein Air Base, Germany.
1989 Bachelor of Science, Human Factors Engineering (with minor in Spanish), U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1996 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1996 Master of Science, Aerospace Science Technology, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, Fla.
2003 Distinguished Graduate, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2003 Master of Military Operational Art and Science, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2004 Master of Airpower Art and Science, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2006 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2009 Distinguished Graduate, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2009 Master of Science, National Resource Strategy, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2013 U.S. Air Force Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Darden School of Business, University of Virginia, Charlottesville
2017 Joint Force Air Component Commander Course, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2021 Combined Force Maritime Component Commander Course, Naval Support Activity Capodichino, Italy
1. October 1989–October 1990, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Laughlin Air Force Base, Texas
2. February 1991–May 1996, Assistant Chief, C-141B Standardization/Evaluation, 4th Airlift Squadron, McChord AFB, Wash.
3. June 1996–July 1998, Director, Special Assignment Airlift Missions, Tanker Airlift Control Center; later, Maintenance Manpower and Plans Officer, Directorate of Logistics, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
4. August 1998–July 2002, KC-135R/T Instructor Pilot; later, Chief, Wing Plans and Programs, 22nd Air Refueling Wing, McConnell AFB, Kan.
5. August 2002–June 2003, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
6. July 2003–June 2004, Student, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
7. July 2004–February 2005, Mobility Strategist and Air Refueling Combat Planner, 621st Air Mobility Operations Squadron, McGuire AFB, N.J.
8. March 2005–March 2006, Executive Officer, 21st Expeditionary Mobility Task Force, McGuire AFB, N.J.
9. June 2006–June 2008, Commander, 55th Air Refueling Squadron, Altus AFB, Okla. (April 2007–September 2007, Commander, 376th Expeditionary Operations Group, Manas Air Base, Kyrgyz Republic)
10. July 2008–June 2009, Student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
11. June 2009–May 2010, Deputy Chief, Distribution Division, Directorate of Logistics, Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
12. May 2010–May 2011, Chief of Staff, Directorate of Logistics, Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
13. May 2011–July 2012, Commander, 379th Expeditionary Operations Group, Southwest Asia
14. July 2012–June 2014, Commander, 521st Air Mobility Operations Wing, Ramstein AB, Germany
15. June 2014–August 2015, Director, Secretary of the Air Force and Chief of Staff of the Air Force Executive Action Group, Headquarters Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
16. August 2015–June 2018, Deputy Director of Strategic Plans, Requirements and Programs, Headquarters AMC, Scott AFB, Ill.
17. June 2018–June 2020, Senior Defense Official and Defense Attaché, Ankara, Turkey
18. June 2020–May 2022, Commander, Third Air Force, Ramstein AB, Germany
19. May 2022–present, Deputy Commander, Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 2009–May 2010, Deputy Chief, Distribution Division, Directorate of Logistics, Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va., as a lieutenant colonel
2. May 2010–May 2011, Chief of Staff, Directorate of Logistics, Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va., as a colonel
3. June 2018–June 2020, Senior Defense Official and Defense Attaché, Ankara, Turkey, as a major general
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 3,500
Aircraft flown: C-141B, KC-135R/T, B-1B, RC-135V/W, E-8C, C-130, C-5A, C-5M and C-21
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Bronze Star Medal with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Department of State, Individual Superior Honor Award
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 31, 1989
First Lieutenant May 31, 1991
Captain May 31, 1993
Major Sept. 1, 2000
Lieutenant Colonel Sept. 1, 2005
Colonel Sept. 1, 2010
Brigadier General Aug. 12, 2015
Major General Oct. 2, 2018
Lieutenant General June 3, 2022
(Current as of July 2022)