Chaplain (Maj. Gen.) Steven A. Schaick is the Chief of Chaplains, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Virginia and he also serves as the first Chief of Chaplains of the United States Space Force. As a member of the special staff of the Chief of Staff of the Air Force and Chief of Space Operations, he establishes guidance and provides advice on all matters pertaining to the religious and moral welfare of Air and Space Force personnel. He is responsible for establishing effective programs to meet the religious needs of Airmen, Guardians and their dependents. As Chief of Chaplains, he is the senior pastor for more than 770,000 active-duty, Guard, Reserve, and civilian forces serving in the U.S. and overseas. He leads a Department of the Air Force Chaplain Corps of approximately 2,200 chaplains and religious affairs airmen from the active duty and Air Reserve components. As a member of the Armed Forces Chaplains Board, he and his colleagues advise the Secretary of Defense and the Joint Chiefs of Staff on religious, ethical and quality-of-life concerns.
Chaplain Schaick enlisted in the United States Air Force in 1976, serving four years as an F-15 Integrated Avionics Component Specialist. He is endorsed by the Presbyterian Church, USA, and was commissioned in the Air Force Reserves as a chaplain candidate in 1985 and into the active duty chaplaincy in 1988. Chaplain Schaick served three different major commands as a staff chaplain, followed by special duty assignment to Arlington National Cemetery. He led a division in the Center for Character Development at the United States Air Force Academy and went on to serve as a wing chaplain in Air Force Special Operations Command. Chaplain Schaick served as the deputy command chaplain for both Air Force Special Operations Command and Air Combat Command. He served as the Senior Staff Chaplain for the Air Force Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Agency and the command chaplain for Air Education and Training Command. Prior to his current assignment, Chaplain Schaick served as the U.S. Air Force Deputy Chief of Chaplains.
1983 Bachelor of Science, University of Wisconsin, Oshkosh
1986 Master of Divinity, McCormick Theological Seminary (PCUSA), Chicago, Ill.
1994 Squadron Officers School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1995 Master of Business Administration, Webster University, Washington, D.C.
1999 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2005 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2005 Doctor of Ministry, Fuller Theological Seminary, Pasadena, Calif.
2009 Master of Strategic Studies, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. August 1976–September 1976, Student, Basic Military Training, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
2. October 1976–June 1977, Student, Integrated Avionics, Lowry AFB, Colorado
3. July 1977–July 1980, F-15 Avionics Specialist, Luke AFB, Ariz.
4. May 1986–July 1988, Reserve Chaplain, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
5. August 1988–August 1991, Installation Chaplain, Eaker AFB, Ark.
6. September 1991–August 1994, Protestant Chaplain, Rhein-Main AB, Germany
7. September 1994–July 1995, Protestant Chaplain, Bolling AFB, Washington, D.C.
8. September 1995–July 1998, Chaplain, Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington, Va.
9. August 1998–May 1999, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
10. June 1999–May 2002, Director, Spiritual and Character Development, United States Air Force Academy,
11. June 2002–May 2004, Senior Protestant Chaplain, Incirlik Air Base, Turkey
12. June 2004–January 2006, Wing Chaplain, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
13. February 2006–June 2008, Deputy Command Chaplain, Air Force Special Operations Command, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
14. July 2008–May 2009, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
15. June 2009–May 2011, Deputy Command Chaplain, Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Va.
16. May 2011–July 2012, Senior Agency Staff Chaplain, Air Force Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Agency, Lackland AFB, Texas
17. July 2012–September 2015, Command Chaplain, Air Education and Training Command, Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph, Texas
18. September 2015–August 2018, Deputy Chief of Chaplains, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
19. August 2018–present, Chief of Chaplains, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
20. December 2019-present, Chief of Chaplains, U.S. Space Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with eight oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Navy Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
(Current as of June 2021)