Jeffrey D. Specht, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Executive Director, Air Force Office of Special Investigations, Marine Corps Base Quantico, Virginia. AFOSI is a field operating agency under the administrative guidance and oversight of the Inspector General of the Air Force. It is a federal law enforcement agency responsible for conducting criminal investigations, counterintelligence, specialized investigative activities, protective service operations, and integrated force protection for the Air Force. The activities of AFOSI are conducted by a worldwide network of over 2,000 military and civilian special agents stationed at more than 230 geographically separated units. As Executive Director, Mr. Specht serves as Deputy to the AFOSI Commander and oversees the headquarters staff, enterprise management processes, and the AFOSI Special Investigations Career Program. He is also responsible for executive level strategic engagement and representation to national U.S. and foreign counterpart organizations.
Mr. Specht began his career with the Air Force in 1995 as an AFOSI special agent hired through the Air Force Palace Acquire Program. His career includes two field agent assignments, two Headquarters AFOSI staff positions, an Air Staff position, two detachment leadership assignments, and leadership of AFOSI’s training academy. Prior to his appointment to the Senior Executive Service, Mr. Specht was detailed to the National Reconnaissance Office as Deputy Director, Office of Security and Counterintelligence.
1993 Bachelor of Arts, Criminal Justice, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa
1995 Master of Public Administration, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa
2003 Air Command and Staff College, Capitol Hill Seminar, Washington, D.C.
2011 Master of National Security Strategy, National War College, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
2012 Defense Senior Leader Development Program
1. April 1995 - July 1997, Criminal Investigator, AFOSI Detachment 104, Eglin AFB, Fla.
2. July 1997 - July 2000, Chief, Fraud Investigations Division, AFOSI Detachment 515, Ramstein AB, Germany
3. July 2000 - June 2001, Chief, Counterintelligence Requirements, Headquarters AFOSI, Andrews AFB, Md.
4. June 2001 - October 2002, Chief, Commander's Action Group, Headquarters AFOSI, Andrews AFB, Md.
5. October 2002 - August 2003, Congressional Fellow, Secretary of the Air Force Legislative Liaison Directorate, Pentagon, Va.
6. August 2003 - July 2005, Special Agent in Charge, AFOSI Detachment 703, Eglin AFB, Fla.
7. July 2005 - June 2008, Special Agent in Charge, AFOSI Detachment 340, MacDill AFB, Fla.
8. June 2008 - April 2009, Deputy Director, Air Force Special Investigations Academy, Federal Law Enforcement Training Center, Glynco, Ga.
9. April 2009 - August 2010, Director, Air Force Special Investigations Academy, Federal Law Enforcement Training Center, Glynco, Ga.
10. August 2010 - June 2011, Student, National War College, Ft McNair, Washington, D.C.
11. June 2011 - October 2012, Assistant Director for Counterintelligence and Special Programs, Office of Security and Counterintelligence, National Reconnaissance Office, Chantilly, Va.
12. November 2012 - present, Executive Director, Headquarters AFOSI, Marine Corps Base Quantico, Va.
AWARDS AND HONORS
1997 Air Force Exemplary Civilian Service Award Medal
1998 AFOSI Civilian Special Agent of the Year
2000, 2003, 2005, 2008, 2010 Air Force Meritorious Civilian Service Award
2009 AFOSI Senior Civilian Special Agent of the Year
(Current as of December 2015)