Brig. Gen. Jonathan M. Ellis is the Mobilization Assistant to the Commander, Eighth Air Force, and Deputy Commander, Joint-Global Strike Operations Center at Barksdale Air Force Base, Louisiana. "The Mighty Eighth" is the numbered Air Force responsible for the service’s bomber force and airborne nuclear command and control assets. The J-GSOC is the primary command and control node for all information moving through Air Force Global Strike Command. As J- GSOC deputy commander, General Ellis assists the commander, managing the center’s day-to-day operations in support of Air Forces Strategic, the warfighting air-component to the U.S. Strategic Command.
General Ellis was commissioned through the ROTC upon graduating from Pennsylvania State University in 1984. He earned his navigator wings in 1985 and his pilot wings in 1990. He served on active duty from 1984 to 1996 before joining the Air Force Reserve in 1996. In previous assignments, General Ellis has served as a Traditional Reservist, Active Guard and Reserve and Air Reserve Technician. He has served in several key positions as both a navigator and a pilot and has commanded at the flight, squadron, group and wing levels.
General Ellis is a command pilot with more than 4,500 hours in the B- 52, T-37, T-38, T-1 and RQ-4 aircraft.
1984 Bachelor of Science, computer science, Pennsylvania State University, State College 1990 Squadron Officers School, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1995 Masters of Business Administration, aviation management, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, Fla.
2002 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2005 Air War College, by correspondence
2008 Reserve Components National Security Course, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C. 2009 COMAFFOR Senior Staff Course, Fort Dix, N.J.
2010 Advanced Joint Professional Military Education, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va. 2012 Advanced Nuclear Concepts Course, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
2015 Senior Leader Nuclear Management Course, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
1. January 1985 - November 1985, student, Undergraduate Navigator Training, Mather AFB, Calif.
2. November 1985 - June 1986, student, B-52G Combat Crew Training, 4017th Combat Crew Training Squadron, Castle AFB, Calif.
3. June 1986 - August 1988, B-52G Navigator and Instructor Navigator, 441st Bombardment Squadron (Heavy), Mather AFB, Calif.
4. August 1988 - January 1990, student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Reese AFB, Texas
5. January 1990 - May 1990, student, B-52G Combat Crew Training, 4017th Combat Crew Training Squadron, Castle AFB, Calif.
6. May 1990 - February 1992, B-52G Pilot, 524th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy), Wurtsmith AFB, Mich.
7. February 1992 - June 1992, B-52G Pilot, 328th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy), Castle AFB, Calif.
8. June 1992 - April 1993, B-52G Standardization and Evaluation Pilot, 34th Bomb Squadron, Castle AFB, Calif.
9. April 1993 - April 1994, B-52G Aircraft Commander, 34th Bomb Squadron, Castle AFB, Calif.
10. April 1994 - August 1994, Chief, Short Range Flight Scheduling, 34th Bomb Squadron, Castle AFB, Calif.
11. August 1994 - May 1995, T-38A Instructor Pilot, 54th Flying Training Squadron, Reese AFB, Texas
12. May 1995 - October 1996, Chief, Squadron Programming, 54th Flying Training Squadron, Reese AFB, Texas
13. October 1996 - March 1998, Operations Officer, 433rd Airlift Control Flight, Kelly AFB, Texas
14. March 1998 – February 2005, T-1A Instructor Pilot, 5th Flying Training Squadron, Vance AFB, Okla.
15. July 1998 - November 1999, T-1A Flight Operations Officer, 5th Flying Training Squadron, Vance AFB, Okla.
16. November 1999 - June 2004, T-1A Flight Commander, 5th Flying Training Squadron, Vance AFB, Okla.
17. June 2004 - February 2005, Assistant Director of Operations, 5th Flying Training Squadron, Vance AFB, Okla.
18. February 2005 - September 2008, Commander, 13th Reconnaissance Squadron, Beale AFB, Calif.
19. September 2008 - October 2008, Commander, Det 2, 10th Air Force, Beale AFB, Calif.
20. October 2008 – February 2012, Commander, 940th Operations Group, Beale AFB, Calif.
21. February 2012 – November 2014, Commander, 307th Bomb Wing, Barksdale AFB, La.
22. November 2014 – June 2017, Mobilization Assistant to the Director, Operations and Communications, Headquarters Air Force Global Strike Command, Barksdale AFB, La.
23. June 2017 – October 2017, Mobilization Assistant to the Commander, Eighth Air Force, Barksdale AFB, La.; and Commander, Joint Functional Component Command for Global Strike, U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
24. October 2017 – present, Mobilization Assistant to the Commander, Eighth Air Force, and Deputy Commander, Joint-Global Strike Operations Center, Barksdale AFB, La.
Rating: command pilot, instructor navigator Flight hours: More than 4,500
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38A, T-1A, B-52G/H and RQ-4A
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Medal with Valor Device and three oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal with oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Southwest Asia Service Medal with bronze star
Kuwait Liberation Medal (Kingdom of Saudi Arabia)
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Oct. 27, 1984
First Lieutenant Oct. 27, 1986
Captain Oct. 27, 1988
Major Oct. 1, 1997
Lieutenant Colonel Sept. 12, 2002
Colonel Aug. 1, 2006
Brigadier General Dec. 10, 2015
(Current as of June 2018)