Maj. Gen. Lance K. Landrum is the Director of Operations (J3), U.S. European Command, Patch Barracks, Stuttgart, Germany. In this role he leads the U.S. EUCOM J3 staff to support the command's forces in executing a full range of multi-domain operations in coordination with Allies and partners to support NATO, deter Russia, assist in the defense of Israel, enable global operations, and counter trans-national threats in order to defend the Homeland forward and fortify Euro-Atlantic security.
Maj. Gen. Landrum earned his commission in May 1992 from the U.S. Air Force Academy. He has held a variety of positions in F-16 fighter operations at the squadron, group and wing levels. He is a graduate of the U.S. Air Force Weapons School, commanded the 510th Fighter Squadron, Aviano Air Base, Italy, and the 332nd Expeditionary Operations Group, Joint Base Balad, Iraq. Maj. Gen. Landrum also commanded the 388th Fighter Wing, Hill Air Force Base, Utah and the 31st Fighter Wing, Aviano AB, Italy. His duties have included assignments to the Pentagon as the Aide de Camp for the U.S. Air Force Chief of Staff, the Director of the U.S. Air Force Colonels Management Office, and Joint Staff J8 Deputy Director for Requirements and Capability Development.
Maj. Gen. Landrum is a command pilot with more than 2,800 flying hours, including 395 combat hours.
1992 Bachelor of Science, Engineering Mechanics, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2001 Masters in Aeronautical Science, Management, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, Fla.
2001 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2003 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2010 Master of Science, Strategic Studies, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2015 Leadership Decision Making Program, Harvard Kennedy School, Harvard University
2018 Global/Regional Course – Africa, Alan L. Freed Associates, Washington, D.C.
2018 Combined Forces Air Component Commander’s Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2019 Enterprise Leadership Program, Kenan-Flagler Business School, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
2019 US-UK 1-Star Rising Leaders Forum
1. August 1992–September 1993, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance Air Force Base, Okla.
2. October 1993–December 1993, Student, Fighter Lead-in Training, 49th Flying Training Squadron, Columbus AFB, Miss.
3. January 1994–December 1994, F-16 Student, Replacement Training Unit, 61st Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
4. December 1994–December 1995, F-16 Pilot, Assistant Weapons Officer, Scheduler, 36th FS, Osan Air Base, South Korea
5. January 1996–August 1998, F-16 Instructor Pilot, Assistant Weapons Officer, Scheduler, 4th FS, Hill AFB, Utah
6. January 1999–June 1999, F-16 Student, U.S. Air Force Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
7. June 1999–March 2002, F-16 Instructor Pilot, Chief of Weapons, 310th FS, Luke AFB, Ariz.
8. March 2002–June 2003, F-16 Instructor Pilot, Flight Commander, U.S. Air Force Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
9. July 2003–September 2005, Aide to the Chief of Staff, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
10. November 2005–June 2009, 31st Fighter Wing Chief of Plans, 555th FS Operations Officer, 510th FS Commander, Aviano AB, Italy
11. July 2009–May 2010, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
12. June 2010–June 2011, Commander, 332nd Expeditionary Operations Group, Joint Base Balad, Iraq
13. August 2011–June 2013, Senior Military Advisor, U.S. Mission to NATO
14. June 2013–June 2015, Commander, 388th FW, Hill AFB, Utah
15. July 2015–June 2016, Director of the U.S. Air Force Colonels Management office, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
16. June 2016–June 2018, Commander, 31st FW, Aviano AB, Italy
17. July 2018–July 2020, Deputy Director for Requirements and Capability Development (J8), the Joint Staff, Arlington, Va.
18. July 2020–present, Director of Operations (J3), U.S. European Command, Stuttgart, Germany.
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 2,800
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 27, 1992
First Lieutenant May 27, 1994
Captain May 27, 1996
Major Nov. 1, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel, Dec. 1, 2006
Colonel Oct. 1, 2010
Brigadier General Aug. 12, 2016
Major General Nov. 2, 2019
(Current as of August 2020)