Maj. Gen. Corey J. Martin is the Commander, 18th Air Force, Scott Air Force Base, Illinois. As Air Mobility Command’s sole numbered air force, 18th AF ensures readiness and sustainment of approximately 36,000 active-duty, Air Force Reserve and civilian Airmen at 12 wings and one direct reporting unit. With more than 400 aircraft, 18th AF supports AMC’s worldwide mission of providing rapid global mobility to America’s armed forces through airlift, aerial refueling and aeromedical evacuation.
Maj. Gen. Martin was commissioned from the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1991 with a Bachelor of Science in Aeronautical Engineering. He is a command pilot with more than 4,200 hours primarily in mobility aircraft including combat airdrop missions over Afghanistan and Iraq. He has served in staff assignments at the major command, sub-unified command and combatant command levels. He has commanded both an in-garrison Operations Support Squadron as well as a deployed squadron for Operation Iraqi Freedom. His wing commands include the 60th Air Mobility Wing and the 376th Air Expeditionary Wing for Operation Enduring Freedom. Prior to his current assignment, Maj. Gen. Martin served as Director of Operations, Headquarters U.S. Transportation Command, Scott AFB, Illinois.
1991 Bachelor of Science, Aeronautical Engineering, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1997 Distinguished Graduate, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1999 Master of Arts, Management and Human Resource Development, Webster University, Scott AFB, Ill.
2004 Distinguished Graduate, Master of Applied Science in Military Operational Art and Science, Air Command and Staff College, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2005 Master of Applied Science in Airpower Art and Science, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2006 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, by correspondence
2009 Master of Science, National Security Strategy, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2012 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Darden School, University of Virginia, Charlottesville
2017 Joint Military Attaché School, Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling, Md.
2018 Capstone Course for General Officers, Joint Military Education III, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2018 Generals, Flag Officers and Ambassadors Course, NATO Defense College, Rome, Italy
2020 Joint Flag Officer Warfighting Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. August 1991–August 1992, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Williams Air Force Base, Ariz.
2. December 1992–August 1997, C-141 Examiner Airdrop Aircraft Commander, McChord AFB, Wash.
3. August 1997–August 1999, Phoenix Hawk Intern Program, Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
4. December 1999–July 2003, C-17 Examiner Airdrop Aircraft Commander, Charleston AFB, S.C.
5. August 2003–June 2004, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
6. July 2004–June 2005, Student, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
7. July 2005–June 2006 Assistant Director of Operations 15th Airlift Squadron, then Chief of Safety, 437th Airlift Wing, Charleston AFB, S.C.
8. June 2006–May 2008, Commander, 437th Operations Support Squadron, Charleston AFB, S.C. (September 2007–January 2008), Commander, 447th Operations Support Squadron, Sather Air Base, Baghdad, Iraq
9. July 2008–June 2009, Student, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
10. July 2009–May 2011, Deputy Chief then Chief of Strategy, United States European Command, Stuttgart, Germany
11. May 2011–May 2012, Vice Commander, 18th Wing, Kadena AB, Japan
12. June 2012–June 2013, Commander, 376th Air Expeditionary Wing, Transit Center at Manas, Kyrgyz Republic
13. July 2013–February 2015, Commander, 60th Air Mobility Wing, Travis AFB, Calif.
14. February 2015–July 2016, Special Assistant to Commander, United Nations Council and Combined Forces Command, United States Forces Korea, Yongsan Garrison, South Korea
15. June 2017–July 2019, Senior Defense Official and Defense Attaché, United States Embassy, Tel Aviv, Israel
16. August 2019–July 2020, Director of Operations, Strategic Deterrence and Nuclear Integration, Headquarters AMC, Scott AFB, Ill.
17. August 2020–August 2022, Director of Operations, Headquarters U.S. Transportation Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
18. August 2022–present, Commander, 18th Air Force, Scott AFB, Ill.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. September 2007–January 2008, Commander, 447th Operations Support Squadron, Baghdad, Iraq, as a lieutenant colonel
2. July 2009–May 2011, Deputy Chief then Chief of Strategy, United States European Command, Stuttgart, Germany, as a colonel
3. February 2015–August 2016, Special Assistant to Commander, United Nations Council and Combined Forces Command, United States Forces Korea, Yongsan Garrison, South Korea, as a colonel and brigadier general
4. June 2017–July 2019, Senior Defense Official and Defense Attaché, United States Embassy, Tel Aviv, Israel, as a brigadier general
5. August 2020–August 2022, Director of Operations, Headquarters U.S. Transportation Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill. as a major general
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 4,200
Aircraft flown: C-17, C-141, KC-135, T-38, T-37, E-3, HH-60, F-15D, C-5, KC-10, C-130J, and KC-46A
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Distinguished Service Medal
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Distinguished Flying Cross
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Iraq Campaign Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 29, 1991
First Lieutenant May 29, 1993
Captain May 29, 1995
Major March 1, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel March 1, 2006
Colonel Oct. 1, 2009
Brigadier General June 2, 2016
Major General Aug. 2, 2019
(Current as of January 2023)