Maj. Gen. Jeffrey A. Kruse is the Director for Defense Intelligence for Warfighter Support, Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Intelligence and Security, the Pentagon, Arlington, Virginia. Maj. Gen. Kruse leads five directorates ensuring combatant commands have the intelligence programs and policies essential to conduct operations and campaigns; oversees the Algorithmic Warfare Cross-Functional Team (AI Project Maven); synchronizes national intelligence programs and activities with interagency partners; establishes military intelligence disclosure policies; and develops strategy and assessments across the defense intelligence enterprise.
Maj. Gen. Kruse was commissioned through the Reserve Officer Training Corps, Miami University, Oxford, Ohio. His career spans leadership and command positions at the tactical, operational, and strategic levels in Air Force, sister service and joint assignments. He has commanded operational Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance, or ISR, units from squadron through wing level.
Maj. Gen. Kruse previously served as the Director for Intelligence, U.S. Indo-Pacific Command where he served as the Senior Intelligence Officer in the Indo-Pacific region responsible for the planning, coordination, and execution of intelligence operations across the 36-nation theater. Prior to that assignment, he served as the Director of Intelligence, Combined Joint Task Force–Operation Inherent Resolve, leading theater intelligence operations for the nation’s counter-ISIS coalition.
Maj. Gen. Kruse has also performed legislative liaison duties to the U.S. Congress, and served as a programmer and former Chief of the Air Force “Engine Room” which develops the Air Force’s $120 billion annual budget. Maj. Gen. Kruse previously served as Senior Special Assistant to the Commander, U.S. European Command and Supreme Allied Commander–Europe, and is now in his sixth joint assignment.
1990 Bachelor of Arts, Political Science, Miami University, Oxford, Ohio
1991 Intelligence Officer Training, Distinguished Graduate, Goodfellow Air Force Base, Texas
1996 Master of Science, Strategic Intelligence, Joint Military Intelligence College, Honor Graduate, Washington, D.C.
1997 Squadron Officer School, Distinguished Graduate, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2004 Master of Arts, National Security and Strategic Studies, with Highest Honors, College of Naval Command & Staff, U.S. Naval War College, Distinguished Graduate, Newport, R.I.
2008 Master of Science, National Security Strategy, National War College, National Defense University, Washington, D.C.
1. April 1991-November 1991, Student, Intelligence Officer Training, Goodfellow Air Force Base, Texas
2. November 1991-December 1993, Chief of Intelligence, 682nd Air Support Operations Center, Shaw AFB, S.C.
3. January 1994-July 1994, Deputy Chief, Training & Tactics, 609th Air Intelligence Squadron, Shaw AFB, S.C.
4. July 1994-August 1995, Chief, Intelligence Section, 78th Fighter Squadron, Shaw AFB, S.C.
5. September 1995-September 1996, Student, Joint Military Intelligence College, Washington, D.C.
6. September 1996-September 1997, Instructor & Course Supervisor, Intelligence Applications Officer Course, Goodfellow AFB, Texas
7. September 1997-June 1998, Executive Officer, 17th Training Wing, Goodfellow AFB, Texas
8. June 1998-July 2000, Commander, 314th Training Squadron, Fort Huachuca, Ariz.
9. August 2000-January 2002, Chief, Strategic & Theater Targeting Sections, then Chief, Hard & Deeply Buried Targets Branch, U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
10. January 2002-July 2003, Special Assistant to the Commander in Chief and Chief, Legislative Affairs, U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
11. August 2003-June 2004, Student, College of Naval Command & Staff, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
12. July 2004-April 2005, Chief, Intelligence Force Management Branch, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Va.
13. May 2005-June 2006, Commander, Pacific Air Forces Air Intelligence Squadron, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
14. June 2006-June 2007, Deputy Director of Intelligence, Seventh Air Force, and Deputy Commander, 607th Air Intelligence Group, Osan Air Base, South Korea
15. July 2007–June 2008, Student, National War College, National Defense University, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
16. July 2008–February 2010, Chief, Information Superiority Division, then Chief, C2 and Cyber Superiority Division, Deputy Chief of Staff, Plans and Programs, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Va.
17. March 2010–June 2010, Chief, Program Integration Division (“Engine Room”), Deputy Chief of Staff, Plans and Programs, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Va.
18. July 2010–July 2012, Commander, 361st Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance Group, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
19. July 2012–June 2014, Commander, 480th Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance Wing, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.
20. June 2014–May 2015, Senior Special Assistant to the Commander, U.S. European Command & Supreme Allied Commander Europe, Mons, Belgium
21. June 2015–June 2016, Director of Intelligence, Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve, Southwest Asia
22. July 2016–July 2019, Director for Intelligence, U.S. Indo-Pacific Command, Camp Smith, Hawaii
23. July 2019–present, Director of Defense Intelligence (Warfighter Support), Office of the Undersecretary of Defense (Intelligence & Security), the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. August 2000–January 2002, Chief, Strategic & Theater Targeting, then Chief, Hard & Deeply Buried Targets, U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt Air Force Base, Neb., as a captain and major
2. January 2002–July 2003, Special Assistant to the CINC and Chief, Legislative Affairs, U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb., as a major
3. June 2014–May 2015, Senior Special Assistant to the Commander, U.S. European Command & Supreme Allied Commander Europe, Mons, Belgium, as a colonel
4. June 2015–June 2016, Director of Intelligence, Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve, Southwest Asia, as a brigadier general
5. July 2016–July 2019, Director for Intelligence, U.S. Indo-Pacific Command, Camp Smith, Hawaii, as a brigadier general and major general
6. July 2019–present, Director of Defense Intelligence (Warfighter Support), Office of the Undersecretary of Defense (Intelligence & Security), the Pentagon, Arlington, Va. as a major general
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Army Commendation Medal
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with three oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Southwest Asia Service Medal with bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Korean Defense Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship (Pistol)
Kuwaiti Liberation Medal – Government of Kuwait
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Dec. 16, 1990
First Lieutenant Dec. 16, 1992
Captain Dec. 16, 1994
Major Jan. 1, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel May 1, 2005
Colonel Oct. 1, 2008
Brigadier General June 8, 2015
Major General July 24, 2018
(Current as of May 2020)