Maj. Gen. John J. DeGoes is the Commander of the 59th Medical Wing, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas. He commands the Air Force Medical Service’s largest healthcare, medical education and readiness platform. Comprising six groups with a staff of 8,400 and executing under a $317 million budget, the Wing provides 9,300 patient visits, 4,000 surgical procedures and greater than 300 worldwide deployments annually. The 59th MDW staff at Brooke Army Medical Center supports 1.4 million patient visits and 25,000 admissions per year. As the Chief Executive Officer for the San Antonio Military Health System, Maj. Gen. DeGoes directs and manages the overall operations and resources of an integrated, joint-service health system with a collective operating budget of $1.2 billion to provide high-quality, safe and reliable health care to more than 254,000 beneficiaries.
Maj. Gen. DeGoes graduated magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa from Boston College in 1985. He received a direct commission in 1985 to attend medical school at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences in Bethesda, Maryland, where he graduated Alpha Omega Alpha in 1989. He is a chief physician and flight surgeon. He is board certified in internal medicine, a fellow of the American College of Physicians and a Certified Physician Executive.
Prior to assuming his current position, Maj. Gen. DeGoes was the Vice Commander of the 59th Medical Wing. He has commanded the 99th Medical Group at Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada, 1st Medical Group at Langley AFB, Virginia, and the 31st Medical Operations Squadron at Aviano Air Base, Italy. He has also served as Chief Executive Officer of the Mike O'Callaghan Federal Medical Center, a joint venture between the Air Force and Department of Veterans Affairs Southern Nevada Healthcare System, where he was responsible for the operation of a 104-bed hospital with a combined eligible user population of more than 320,000. Additionally, Maj. Gen. DeGoes served as the Command Surgeon for both U.S. Air Force Central Command and NORAD-USNORTHCOM.
1985 Bachelor of Science, Biology, Boston College, Boston
1989 Doctor of Medicine, F. Edward Herbert School of Medicine, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, Md.
1992 Diplomat, American Board of Internal Medicine (Recertification 2002, 2012)
1999 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., by correspondence
2001 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2011 Medical CAPSTONE Course, Washington, D.C.
2012 Federal Interagency Healthcare Executives Course, Washington, D.C.
2012 Certified Physician Executive, Certifying Commission in Medical Management, Tampa, Fla.
2013 Fellow, American College of Physicians, Philadelphia
2014 Joint Domestic Operations Course, Peterson AFB, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2018 Capstone Fellow, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. August 1985–June 1989, Medical Student, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, Md.
2. June 1989–July 1992, Resident, Internal Medicine, Wilford Hall Medical Center, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
3. July 1992–July 1993, Chief of Internal Medicine Resident, Wilford Hall Medical Center, Lackland AFB, Texas
4. July 1993–June 1996, USUHS Medical Student Coordinator, Wilford Hall Medical Center, Lackland AFB, Texas
5. June 1996–September 1996, Staff, Internal Medicine, 81st Medical Operations Squadron, Keesler AFB, Miss.
6. September 1996–May 2000, AMB Care Clinic Element Chief, 81st Medical Operations Squadron, Keesler AFB, Miss.
7. May 2000–September 2002, Chief, Clinical Medical Branch, Air Education and Training Command, Randolph AFB, Texas
8. September 2002–June 2005, Chief, Medical Staff, 99th Medical Group, Mike O'Callaghan Federal Hospital, Nellis AFB, Nev.
9. June 2005–June 2007, Commander, 31st Medical Operations Squadron, Aviano Air Base, Italy
10. August 2007–February 2009, Commander, 1st Medical Group, Langley AFB, Va.
11. February 2009–June 2010, Command Surgeon, U.S. Air Force Central Command, United States Central Command/9th Air Force, Shaw AFB, S.C.
12. June 2010–May 2013, Commander, 99th Medical Group, CEO Mike O’Callaghan Federal Medical Center, Nellis AFB, Nev.
13. May 2013–August 2016, Command Surgeon, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, Peterson AFB, Colo.
14. August 2016–June 2018, Vice Commander, 59th Medical Wing, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas
15. June 2018–present, Commander, 59th Medical Wing, JB San Antonio-Lackland, Texas
Rating: flight surgeon and basic parachutist
Flight hours: more than 240
Aircraft flown: C-130E/H, CH-047D, UH-072A, F-15D and C-21A
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Air Force Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Iraq Campaign Medal with Bronze Star
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Captain May 20, 1989
Major May 20, 1995
Lieutenant Colonel May 20, 2001
Colonel May 20, 2007
Brigadier General June 21, 2016
Major General July 3, 2018
(Current as of September 2020)