Maj. Gen. John J. DeGoes is the Commander of the 59th Medical Wing, Joint Base San Antonio- Lackland, Texas, whose mission is to provide deployed and home station health care, graduate medical education and clinical research to enhance Air Force mission readiness. This is the Air Force’s largest medical wing composed of seven groups across the $1.2 billion San Antonio Military Health System, Joint Base San Antonio, supporting more than 240,000 beneficiaries with more than 6,000 military and civilian personnel, residents and students.
General DeGoes graduated magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, from Boston College in 1985. He received a direct commission in 1985 to attend medical school at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences in Bethesda, Maryland, where he graduated Alpha Omega Alpha in 1989. He is a chief physician and flight surgeon. He is board certified in internal medicine, a fellow of the American College of Physicians and a Certified Physician Executive.
Prior to assuming his current position, General DeGoes was the Vice Commander of the 59th Medical Wing. He has commanded the 99th Medical Group at Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada, 1st Medical Group at Langley AFB, Virginia, and the 31st Medical Operations Squadron at Aviano Air Base, Italy. He has also served as Chief Executive Officer of the Mike O'Callaghan Federal Medical Center, a joint venture between the Air Force and Department of Veterans Affairs Southern Nevada Healthcare System, where he was responsible for the operation of a 104-bed hospital with of a combined eligible user population of over 320,000. General DeGoes has also served as the Command Surgeon for both USAF Central Command and NORAD-USNORTHCOM.
1985 Bachelor of Science in biology, Boston College, Mass.
1989 Doctor of Medicine, F. Edward Herbert School of Medicine, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, Md.
1992 Diplomat, American Board of Internal Medicine (Recertification 2002, 2012)
1999 Air Command and Staff College by correspondence
2001 Air War College by correspondence
2011 Medical CAPSTONE
2012 Federal Interagency Healthcare Executives Course
2012 Certified Physician Executive, Certifying Commission in Medical Management
2013 Fellow, American College of Physicians
2014 Joint Domestic Operations Course
2018 Capstone Fellow, National Defense Univeristy, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. August 1985 – June 1989, medical student, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, Md. 2. June 1989 - July 1992, resident, internal medicine, Wilford Hall Medical Center, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
3. July 1992 – July 1993, Chief of Internal Medicine Resident, Wilford Hall Medical Center, Lackland AFB, Texas
4. July 1993 – June 1996, USUHS Medical Student Coordinator, Wilford Hall Medical Center, Lackland AFB, Texas
5. June 1996 – September 1996, Staff, Internal Medicine, 81st Medical Operations Squadron, Keesler AFB, Miss.
6. September 1996 – May 2000, AMB Care Clinic Element Chief, 81st Medical Operations Squadron, Keesler AFB, Miss.
7. May 2000 – September 2002, Chief, Clinical Medical Branch, AETC, Randolph AFB, Texas
8. September 2002 - June 2005, Chief, Medical Staff, 99th Medical Group, Mike O'Callaghan Federal Hospital, Nellis AFB, Nev.
9. June 2005 – June 2007, Commander, 31st Medical Operations Squadron, Aviano Air Base, Italy
10. August 2007 - February 2009, Commander, 1st Medical Group, Langley AFB, Va.
11. February 2009 - June 2010, Command Surgeon, USAF Central Command, United States Central Command/9AF, Shaw AFB, S.C.
12. June 2010 - May 2013, Commander, 99th Medical Group, CEO Mike O’Callaghan Federal Medical Center, Nellis AFB, Nev.
13. May 2013 - August 2016, Command Surgeon, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, Peterson AFB, Colo.
14. August 2016 - June 2018, Vice Commander, 59th Medical Wing, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas
15. June 2018 - present, Commander, 59th Medical Wing, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas
Rating: Flight surgeon and basic parachutist
Flight hours: More than 240
Aircraft flown: C130E/H, CH047D, UH072A, F15D, C21A
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit Medal with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Air Force Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Iraq Campaign Medal with Bronze Star
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Captain May 20, 1989
Major May 20, 1995
Lieutenant Colonel May 20, 2001
Colonel May 20, 2007
Brigadier General June 21, 2016
Major General Frocked
(Current as of October 2018)