Maj. Gen. Charles S. Corcoran is the Commander, U.S. Air Force Warfare Center, Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada. As Commander, he oversees four wings and two named units with more than 12,000 military and civilian personnel serving in the 57th Wing, 53rd Wing, 99th Air Base Wing, 505th Command and Control Wing, the Nevada Test and Training Range and the Air Force Joint Test Program Office. The USAFWC conducts operational testing and tactics development programs as well as advanced training schools, exercises and venues. The center develops innovative leaders and provides Airmen with proven and tested technology, the most current tactics, academic training and opportunities to practice integrated force employment.
Maj. Gen. Corcoran earned his commission from the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1992. He has commanded the 525th Fighter Squadron, the 325th Operations Group, the 3rd Wing and the 380th Air Expeditionary Wing. He has served as the Executive Assistant to the Vice Chief of Staff of the Air Force and in the Secretary of the Air Force and Chief of Staff of the Air Force Executive Action Group. He
was also in the headquarters staff of Air Forces Central Command, NATO’s Allied Air Command, U.S. Air Forces in Europe and Air Forces Africa. Prior to his current position Maj. Gen. Corcoran was the Director of Operations, Strategic Deterrence and Nuclear Integration, Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe and Air Forces Africa, Ramstein AB, Germany.
He is a graduate of the U.S. Air Force Weapons School and a command pilot with more than 3,100 flying hours, including more than 440 combat hours, primarily in the F-22 Raptor and F-15 Eagle.
1992 Bachelor of Science, History, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1997 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2003 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2003 Master of Business Administration, Touro University, Cypress, Calif.
2006 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2011 Master of National Security Studies, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
- June 1992–February 1994, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Columbus Air Force Base, Miss., then Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals, Randolph AFB, Texas
- March 1994–September 1994, Student, F-15C Eagle Training, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
- October 1994–December 1999, Chief of Standardization and Evaluations, Weapons Officer and Scheduler, 19th Fighter Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
- January 2000–June 2000, Student, U.S. Air Force Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
- June 2000–October 2002, Chief of Weapons and Tactics and Flight Commander, 390th FS, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
- November 2002–September 2004, Test and Evaluation Pilot and Chief of Safety and Training, Edwards AFB, Calif.
- October 2004–March 2006, Chief of Wing Weapons and Tactics, 1st Fighter Wing, and Assistant Director of Operations, 27th FS, Langley AFB, Va.
- March 2006–June 2007, Chief of Operations, Secretary of the Air Force and Chief of Staff of the Air Force Executive Action Group, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
- July 2007–July 2009, Commander, 525th FS, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska
- July 2009–July 2010, Executive Assistant to the Vice Chief of Staff of the Air Force, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
- August 2010–June 2011, Student, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington D.C.
- July 2011–June 2013, Commander, 325th Operations Group, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
- June 2013–August 2014, Chief of Staff, U.S. Air Forces Central Command, Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar
- August 2014–June 2016, Commander, 3rd Wing, JB Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska
- June 2016–July 2017, Commander, 380th Air Expeditionary Wing, Al Dhafra AB, United Arab Emirates
- August 2017–August 2018, Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations, NATO Allied Air Command, Ramstein AB, Germany
- August 2018–July 2019, Director of Operations, Strategic Deterrence and Nuclear Integration, Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe and Air Forces Africa, Ramstein AB, Germany
- July 2019–present, Commander, U.S. Air Force Warfare Center, Nellis AFB, Nev.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
- June 2013–June 2014, Chief of Staff, U.S. Air Forces Central Command, Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar, as a colonel
- August 2017–August 2018, Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations, NATO Allied Air Command, Ramstein AB, Germany, as a brigadier general
Rating: command Pilot
Flying Hours: more than 3,100, 440 combat hours Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, F-15A/B/C/D and F-22
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters Bronze Star
Meritorious Service Medal with silver oak leaf cluster Air Medal
Aerial Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 27, 1992
First Lieutenant May 27, 1994
Captain May 27, 1996
Major Nov. 1, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel Dec. 1, 2006
Colonel Oct. 1, 2010
Brigadier General Aug. 8, 2016
Major General May. 3, 2019
(Current as of September 2020)