Maj. Gen. Charles L. (Chuck) Plummer is The Deputy Judge Advocate General, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Virginia. General Plummer assists The Judge Advocate General in the professional oversight of more than 2,200 judge advocates, 350 civilian attorneys, 1,400 enlisted paralegals and 500 civilians in the Total Force Judge Advocate General’s Corps worldwide. In addition to overseeing an array of military justice, operational, international and civil law functions at every level of command, General Plummer provides legal advice to the Air Staff and agencies of the Department of the Air Force.
General Plummer was born and raised in Syracuse, New York. He was admitted to practice law in the State of New York in 1994. From August 1994 to September 1995, he practiced as a civilian attorney with firms in Buffalo and Syracuse, New York. He entered the Air Force by direct appointment in September 1995.
General Plummer has served in a variety of legal positions at the base, the field operating agency, the air staff and the joint staff levels. In addition to his traditional assignments, he served a rotation as the Staff Judge Advocate to the 3rd Air Expeditionary Group, Kwang Ju Air Base, South Korea, and as the Staff Judge Advocate to a Joint Special Operations Task Force in Jordan.
Prior to his current assignment, he served as the Commander, Air Force Legal Operations Agency, Joint Base Andrews, Maryland, responsible for the command and control of a 900-member organization of legal professionals operating at 76 locations worldwide.
1989 Bachelor of Science, magna cum laude, State University of New York at Brockport
1993 Juris Doctor, Capital University School of Law, Columbus, Ohio
1994 Master of Laws, Taxation, Syracuse University, Syracuse, N.Y.
1998 Squadron Officer’s School, by correspondence
2003 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2007 Master of Arts, military operational art and science, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 Air War College, by correspondence
2008 Master of Arts, airpower art and science, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2011 Master of Science, distinguished graduate, National Resource Strategy, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2015 Enterprise Perspective Seminar, Capitol Hill Club, Washington, D.C.
2017 Air Force Enterprise Leadership Seminar, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
2018 National and International Security Leadership Seminar, Capitol Hill Club, Washington, D.C.
2018 Capstone General and Flag Officer Course, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. December 1995 - June 1997, Chief of Claims, Chief of Environmental Law, 6th Air Refueling Wing, MacDill AFB, Fla.
2. June 1997 - June 1998, Chief of International and Operations Law, Chief of the Tax Program, 51st Fighter Wing, Osan AB, South Korea
3. June 1998 - August 2000, Chief of Military Justice, Chief of Adverse Actions, Chief of Operations Law, 16th Special Operations Wing, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
4. August 2000 - May 2003, Chief, Recruiting Branch, Professional Development Division, Office of The Judge Advocate General, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
5. May 2003 - July 2004, Assistant Executive to The Judge Advocate General, Office of The Judge Advocate General, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
6. July 2004 - July 2006, Staff Judge Advocate, 423rd Air Base Group, RAF Alconbury, England
7. May 2005 - July 2006, Staff Judge Advocate, 501st Combat Support Wing, RAF Mildenhall, England
8. August 2006 - June 2007, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
9. July 2007 - June 2008, Student, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
10. July 2008 - July 2010, Deputy Legal Counsel, Office of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
11. August 2010 - June 2011, Student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
12. July 2011 - February 2014, Staff Judge Advocate, Air Force Personnel Center, JB San Antonio-Randolph, Texas
13. February 2014 - September 2016, Director, Professional Development Directorate, Office of The Judge Advocate General, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
14. October 2016 - May 2018, Commander, Air Force Legal Operations Agency, JB Andrews, Md.
15. May 2018 - present, Deputy Judge Advocate General, Office of The Judge Advocate General, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
July 2008 - July 2010, Deputy Legal Counsel, Office of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va., as a lieutenant colonel
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
USAF Outstanding Judge Advocate of the Year (Albert M. Kuhfeld Award), 2005
USAFE’s Dr. Richard S. Schubert Award (for Excellence in Host-Nation Relations), 2005
New York Court of Appeals
Colorado Supreme Court
Air Force Court of Criminal Appeals
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces
U.S. Supreme Court
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
First Lieutenant Sept. 25, 1995
Captain March 25, 1996
Major Oct. 1, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel July 1, 2008
Colonel Oct. 1, 2011
Brigadier General Oct. 1, 2016
Major General May 18, 2018
(Current as of July 2018)