Mr. Michael Dickey is Director of the Force Design Integration Office at the U.S. Space Force’s Space Warfighting Analysis Center at Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado. In this role, he integrates analytic activities that inform future force design decisions for a combat effective enterprise for the newest military service. He leads a core team of experts that orchestrate planning and implementation activities and processes within the U.S. Space Force and across partner organizations to transform to an enterprise-focused, threat-informed approach to developing and delivering space capabilities. Mr. Dickey is a highly qualified expert in active civilian service for up to five years.
Mr. Dickey served a 21-year active duty career, retiring as a colonel in 2009. He entered the Air Force through the Reserve Officer Training Corps in 1987 holding engineering and operations assignments in space, missile defense, and aircraft systems. He served in line, staff and command positions at the laboratory, squadron, group, major command and headquarters levels.
As a civilian in the private sector, Mr. Dickey worked on the development of space system solutions that leveraged the technology and economics of small spacecraft to meet mission needs.
1987 Bachelor of Science, Aerospace Engineering, Special Honors, University of Colorado, Boulder
1988 Master of Science, Aerospace Engineering, University of Colorado, Boulder
1992 Squadron Officer School, Distinguished Graduate, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1996 U.S. Air Force Test Pilot School, Distinguished Graduate, Edwards AFB, Calif.
1998 Air Command and Staff College, Distinguished Graduate, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2003 Master of Security Studies, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2006 Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2006 Penn State University, Executive Management Program, State College, Pa.
2008 Center for Creative Leadership, Developing the Strategic Leader, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1. May 1988–June 1990, Aerospace Vehicle Analyst, Air Force Astronautics Lab, Edwards Air Force Base, Calif.
2. June 1990–December 1992, Test Director - National Hover Test Facility and Lightweight Exo-Atmospheric Projectile Test Mgr, Phillips Lab, Edwards AFB, Calif.
3. January 1993–June 1995, Program Integrator - Interceptor Technology Test, Ballistic Missile Defense Organization, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
4. July 1995–June 1996, Student, U.S. Air Force Test Pilot School, Edwards AFB, Calif.
5. June 1996–July 1997, B-2 Lead Flight Test Engineer, 420th Flight Test Squadron, Edwards AFB, Calif.
6. August 1997–June 1998, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
7. June 1998–June 2000, Deputy Chief, Plans Integration, Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
8. July 2000–July 2002, Commander, 3d Space Operations Squadron, Schriever AFB, Colo.
9. July 2002–June 2003, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
10. June 2003–March 2005, Chief, Program Support Division, Deputy Directorate for Global Operations, J-3, Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
11. April 2005–April 2006, Special Assistant to the Chairman, Office of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
12. May 06–July 2009, Operations Group Commander and Director, Engineering and Support Group, Aerospace Data Facility-Colorado, Buckley AFB, Colo.
13. October 2009–August 2016, Director, Spacecraft Strategy and Business Development, Sierra Nevada Corporation, Louisville, Colo.
14. August 2016–August 2018, Chief, Space Enterprise Vision, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
15. August 2018–March 2021, Director, Enterprise Strategy and Architectures Office and Chief Architect, Headquarters U.S. Space Force, Peterson AFB, Colo.
16. March 2021–present, Director, Force Design Integration Office, U.S. Space Force Space Warfighting Analysis Center, Peterson AFB, Colo.
AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Air Force Legion of Merit
National Reconnaissance Office Gold Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Raymond L. Jones Award
NASA Group Achievement Medal
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Life Member, Air Force Association
Associate Fellow, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
Member, Space Force Association
(Current as of April 2021)