Air Force Personnel Center announces this year's Club Scholarship winners
By Staff Sgt. Ian Hoachlander, Air Force Personnel Center Public Affairs
/ Published September 23, 2013
JOINT BASE SAN ANTONIO-RANDOLPH, Texas (AFNS) --
Twenty-five individuals were recently selected to receive $1,000 scholarships, a laptop and a portable printer through the Air Force Club Membership Scholarship Program.
To be considered eligible for this scholarship Air Force Club members and their families had to submit a 500-word essay about what inspired them to be successful and why. A total of 156 entries were submitted to the Air Force Personnel Center's Directorate of Services Food and Beverage Branch, at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas.
The 2013 Club Scholarship winners, in no particular order, are:
- Vinkyra Ellison, daughter of Karasia Ellison - Homestead Air Reserve Base, Fla.
- Amber West, daughter of Senior Master Sgt. Michael West - Hurlburt Field, Fla.
- Jordan Frotz, daughter of Senior Master Sgt. Rodney Frotz - Malmstrom Air Force Base, Mont.
- Kaitlin Brooks, daughter of Col. Kim Brooks - Andersen Air Base, Guam
- Kaitlyn Tovado, daughter of Col. Robert Tovado - U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
- Matthew Lengyel, son of Brig. Gen. Gregory Lengyel - U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
- Tech. Sgt. Anthony Baumayr - Tinker AFB, Okla.
- Tech. Sgt. Catherine Colly - Tinker AFB, Okla.
- Master Sgt. Ralph Wright - Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas
- Justin Waldo, step-son of retired Master Sgt. Jeffrey Goldberg - Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas
- Thomas Engle, son of Maj. Roger Engle III - Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph, Texas
- Alayna Pounds, daughter of Col. Tony Pounds - Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph, Texas
- Zintkala Eiring, daughter of Chief Master Sgt. Chardwick Eiring - Ramstein AB, Germany
- Allyson Bean - Laughlin AFB, Texas
- Jane Tormasi, daughter of retired Chief Master Sgt. James Tormasi - Scott AFB, Ill.
- Staff Sgt. Andrew Thorpe - Scott AFB, Ill.
- Emma Hoggan, daughter of Col. Karlan Hoggan - Langley AFB, Va.
- Staff Sgt. Gwendolyn Chapman - Osan AB, Republic of Korea
- Alexis Knupp, daughter of Chief Master Sgt. Scott Knupp - RAF Mildenhall, United Kingdom
- Ashlyn Pierce, daughter of Master Sgt. Klane Pierce - RAF Lakenheath, United Kingdom
- Kelli Goode, daughter of Maj. Sean Goode - Fairchild AFB, Wash.
- Zachary Walton, son of Maj. Jeffrey Walton - Wright Patterson AFB, Ohio
- 1st Lt. Ryan Fortney - Joint Base Charleston, S.C.
- April Collins, spouse of Master Sgt. Joe Collins - Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
- McKayla Michaud, daughter of retired Chief Master Sgt. Thomas Michaud - Patrick AFB, Fla.
"Air Force Clubs are committed to fostering a sense of community among our total force Airmen, civilians and their families," said Fred McKenney, the Air Force Food and Beverage Branch chief. "Providing a scholarship to help members and their families defray the cost of higher education is one way we achieve this. Air Force Clubs have proudly sponsored the scholarship essay contest in support of AFPC Service's commitment to take care of Airmen and their families."
The scholarships were funded in part by Chase Bank. The computers and printers were provided by Dell Computer Corporation (no federal endorsement intended).
For more information about the Air Force Clubs programs, how to apply for this scholarship and view this year's winning essays, visit www.afclubs.net
and click on the Club Scholarship logo.
For more information about personnel issues, visit the myPers website at https://mypers.af.mil