Deli-bakery contract awarded for 44 commissaries
By Rick Brink, Defense Commissary Agency
/ Published May 22, 2015
FORT LEE, Va. (AFNS) -- A new contractor will start taking over deli-bakery operations next month at 44 Midwest commissaries that were impacted when a contractor-provided service ceased at the end of February, due to performance issues.
"I'm pleased to announce that Military Deli and Bakery Services Inc. (MDBS), has been awarded the contract and this will allow us to transition these stores back to contractor-operated deli-bakeries," said Joseph Jeu, the Defense Commissary Agency director and CEO.
Since the end of February, the commissary agency has been providing limited deli-bakery services at all the commissaries with the exception of Fort Sill, Oklahoma. This was primarily done by hiring many of the former contractor's employees on temporary appointments as government employees.
Starting June 1, MDBS will begin taking over the deli-bakery operations in a phased roll out that includes the restoration of fresh sushi bars at stores that offer this service. The deli-bakery roll out is expected to be complete by the end of May. The sushi bar roll out is expected to be complete by mid-July.
Commissaries involved are (* annotate locations with sushi bars):
· Alabama: Maxwell-Gunter Air Force Base Annex, Maxwell AFB*, Redstone Arsenal*, Fort Rucker*
· Arkansas: Little Rock AFB*
· Colorado: Buckley Air Force Base*, Fort Carson*, Peterson Air Force Base*, U.S. Air Force Academy
· Illinois: Scott AFB*, Naval Station Great Lakes*
· Indiana: Harrison Village
· Kansas: McConnell AFB*, Fort Leavenworth*, Fort Riley*
· Kentucky: Fort Campbell*, Fort Knox*
· Louisiana: Barksdale AFB*, Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base New Orleans, Fort Polk*
· Michigan: Selfridge Air National Guard Base
· Mississippi: Columbus AFB*, Naval Construction Battalion Center Gulfport*, Keesler AFB*
· Missouri: Fort Leonard Wood*, Whiteman AFB
· Nebraska: Offutt AFB*
· New Mexico: Cannon AFB, Holloman AFB*, Kirtland AFB*, White Sands Missile Range
· North Dakota: Grand Forks AFB, Minot AFB*
· Ohio: Wright-Patterson AFB*
· Oklahoma: Altus AFB, Fort Sill*, Tinker AFB*, Vance AFB
· Pennsylvania: Pittsburgh area
· South Dakota: Ellsworth AFB*
· Tennessee: Naval Support Activity Mid-South (Memphis)*
· Texas: Fort Bliss*, Sheppard AFB*
· Wyoming: F.E. Warren AFB